AmeriDendro 2013 registration is open: follow the link on the Overview page.
Updating the Presque River Isle Hemlock Chronology, Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park
Presented by Mr. Gabriel BROWNELL on 15 May 2013 from 18:00 to 21:00
Type: Poster Presentation
Session: Poster Session + Reception
Board #: 5
We updated and examined the stability of the climate response exhibited by the Presque Isle River eastern hemlock chronology developed by Dr. Ed Cook in 1983 along the shores of Lake Superior in northern Michigan. The original and new chronologies were significantly correlated (r2 = 0.9), indicating we successfully updated the original chronology. The updated chronology spanned the period AD 1444–2011 with EPS>0.9 from 1700–2011, and exhibited a significant inverse relationship with previous summer temperature and a significant positive relationship with current spring temperature. Every ancient tree we cored was rotten and we observed numerous recently dead and down trees at the site. This underscores the importance of updating chronologies as trees begin to reach and exceed their maximum lifespans.
Room: Salon E
- Mr. Gabriel BROWNELL Tree-Ring, Earth, and Environmental Sciences Laboratory, University of Wisconsin - Platteville
- Mr. Brennan WAUPOOSE College of Menominee Nation
- Ms. Giselle VARRIENTOS Tree-Ring, Earth, and Environmental Sciences Laboratory, University of Wisconsin - Platteville
- Ms. McKaylee DUQUAIN University of Wisconsin - Madison
- Dr. Evan LARSON Tree-Ring, Earth, and Environmental Sciences Laboratory, University of Wisconsin - Platteville